An XML is a supplement document in terms of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) that informs Google or other search engines about the listed pages available for crawling. Web Crawlers generally crawls pages from internal links in the website or any other external links. An XML Sitemap supplements this process of crawling pages from internal or external links of a website. In fact, XML Sitemap does not ascertain the listed pages to be indexed by Google (or other search engines) nor it has any effect on ranking of the pages. It merely lists the webpage allowing them to be crawled by search engines. It is in contrast to the robots.txt which normally excludes URLs from a website as it includes URLs in a website. This article lists 5 best WordPress plugins to Generate XML Sitemaps in WordPress. You can also read article that explains basics and importance of XML sitemaps.
5 Best WordPress Plugins to Generate XML Sitemaps in WordPress
Rather manually creating and submitting sitemaps to the search engines, WordPress has greater flexibility of creating/adding them by using plugins. Plugins let user create and submit XML sitemaps in minutes. Below are some of the best WordPress XML Plugins till date:
It is the most downloaded plugin in WordPress with almost 30 millions downloads. This plugin is basically developed for optimizing the WordPress website in terms of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It supports Google Analytics integration, XML Sitemap, meta information, advanced canonical URLs etc.
- Basically with this plugin, meta information can be added to the pages. If no meta information added manually, the plugin generates it automatically and use it in the pages.
- It supports fine tuning of many options to optimize the website to the advanced users.
- XML Sitemap is created automatically and Google/Bing are notified about the changes.
- Pages, posts, taxonomies, date archives, author pages can be included/excluded in the sitemap easily.
- Post priority and update frequency can be set.
- Non WordPress pages can be added manually in the sitemap.
Yoast SEO is a complete Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Plugin having various features like Meta information update RSS optimization, Page Analysis functionality, XML Sitemaps, Breadcrumbs, Social Integration, Multi site compatible etc. It has the most advanced features for XML Sitemap generation compared to other WordPress plugin.
- XML Sitemap is generated automatically just by checking a box option.
- It can include images from pages/posts to the sitemap.
- Sitemap settings from external websites can be copied easily.
- As the plulgin uses XLS stylesheets for XML Sitemaps, the generated sitemap is human readable.
- The sitemaps works for large websites as the index sitemap is linked to sub sitemaps for each 1000 posts or more.
XML Sitemaps automatically generates sitemap, assigns the page update rate and notify major search engines.
- It is lightweight plugin having setting options like including/excluding categories, date archives, authors, tags in the sitemap.
- It provides cached (in wp-content/sitemaps folder) sitemaps and uses .htaccess rule to rewrite rule for search engine redirection.
- It uses WP internals to conclude number of pages, posts, category, tags etc.
This plugin generates XML sitemaps that helps the pages to be indexed better in search engines. The generated sitemap is easier to crawl and information retrieval is more efficient.
- xml and sitemap.xml.gz are dynamically generated.
- It supports all kind of WordPress pages with custom URLs.
- It notifies search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com about the page updates to index the website better.
- Default options checked for the plugin works well for most of the websites therefore no need to modify configuration settings in general.
Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps is a WordPress plugin to generate XML Sitemap that is fast, efficient in terms of resource usage and scalable with new modules to add any functionality beyond its own default functions. It works beyond the normal sitemap file size, i.e. supports more than 50,000 URLs and takes less time to generate the XML Sitemap.
- Index sitemap can be generated which in turn contain several sub sitemaps. For search engines, only sitemap index need to be submitted and no need of submitting sub sitemaps individually.
- It adds Google News sitemap to the main index sitemap that is helpful in pinging search engines.
- Featured image of WordPress post can be added to the sitemap.
- Large posts sitemap can be splitted to smaller fraction.
- The plugin is multi-site compatible.
Dhiraj Bikram Khadka
Latest posts by Dhiraj Bikram Khadka (see all)
- Check Broken Links with Broken Links Checker Plugin in WordPress - June 22, 2016
- Generate XML Sitemaps using Better WordPress Google XML Sitemaps Plugin - June 16, 2016
- Enable XML sitemaps in All in One SEO Pack Plugin - June 5, 2016