Yoast SEO (formerly known as WordPress SEO by Yoast) is the most complete WordPress SEO plugin that exists today in the WordPress community. It incorporates everything from a snippet editor and real time page analysis functionality that helps you optimize your pages content, images titles, meta descriptions, headings, XML sitemaps and much more. Major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo use complex algorithms that turns data into search results. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is the process of getting traffic from the free organic or natural search results on the search engines. To rank your page higher in the search results, you can write blog post with WordPress Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress.
Write Blog Post With WordPress Yoast SEO Plugin
Step 1. Add New Post
To add a new post in WordPress, go to Dashboard > Post > Add New.
Now type title of the post. Write some content. Then right below content area of the same page, you will see Yoast SEO Plugin. This is displayed after you’ve installed the Yoast SEO plugin. This is where you will setup most of the SEO related information about this particular post you are writing about. If it is not being displayed after installing the Yoast SEO Plugin then, on the same Add New Post page go to top-right corner of the screen and click, Screen Options and check Yoast SEO box.
Step 2. Snippet Editor
Snippet Editor shows visual preview of how the website will look in the search results. Snippet Preview helps you to preview the actual fonts that Google will display. When you click the Edit snippet button you will find a form for SEO Title, Slug and Meta Description as shown below.
- SEO Title: SEO Title is the overall label for the content of a page. It is a part of the meta tags that tells people and search engines what your page is all about. Search engine will truncate title in search result that exceed a certain length and the length is usually between 50-60 characters or 512 pixels wide. If the title is too long the engine will show an ellipsis, “…” to indicate that title has been cut off. It will be more helpful for ranking if the keyword is closer to the title tag.
- Slug: A slug is a cleaner title that can be used to create URL of the post. WordPress automatically generates a post slug and displays it as the post URL just below the post title called Permalink. Slug is a part of your URL that distinguishes the posts or pages from other posts or pages within your site. So, it’s better to provide a slug name which is human readable and contain focus keyword.
- Meta Description: The meta description attribute sometimes called a “tag” is the snippet of information used to summarize a web page’s content. Meta description tags, while not important to search engine rankings, are extremely important in gaining user click-through from SERPs. These short paragraphs are a webmaster’s opportunity to advertise content to searchers and to let them know exactly whether the given page contains the information they’re looking for.The description should optimally be between 150-160 characters.
Step 3. Choose Focus Keyword
Focus Keyword is a main keyword which people will look and search in the search engine. You should select the focus keyword which is most likely searched by readers. It is the phrase which user feels comfortable to search in the internet. While writing a blog post pick a long tail keyword which will generate high quality traffic in your blog. I generally pick a keyword which is similar with the main topic of my article i.e. “SEO Blog Post”. After you have one in mind go into the google and search it and pick one which is closer to the result. However there are variety of tools and techniques which are useful to find out related Keyword which are relevant to your blog post that you may not have considered. The Google Adwords Keyword Tool and semrush.com are some great tools which allows you to find appropriate keywords which can generate high volume of traffic to your site.
Step 4. Meta Keywords
Meta keywords are a specific type of meta tag that appear in the code of a web page and help tell search engine to know what the topic of the page is. Even though meta keywords are no longer an important part of the Google ranking algorithm, but the most important thing to keep in mind when selecting or optimizing your meta keywords is to be sure that each keyword accurately reflects the content of your pages.
Step 5. Content Analysis
This part of the plugin automatically analyze the contents of your post and gives you hints and tips on how to improve it. It fetches the posts or pages content and runs it analysis on that. It is simple to understand. It guides you to improve the SEO of each element of your post. It’s clean, it’s simple and it’s rather fast. Once all the changes are saved, at the box in the top right it gives you suggestion on what you can do to better to optimize your post. The green dots indicate that you are good to go in regards to your optimization.
Some of the analyses done by the plugin are,
- Include headings containing the focus keyword. For example, H1, H2, etc.At least one heading must have focus keyword.
- Include external or internal links wherever possible. Internal link points to post within a same website. External link points to post to external websites.
- A post much have at least one image. The image should have a ALT tag with focus keyword.
- The post must have at least 300 words. The more words, the better.
- Note: Do not engage in keyword stuffing, which is act of filling your content with too much keywords which not only makes difficult to read also irritates your followers.
- The focus keyword must be in the first paragraph of the post.
- The title of the page must be between 35 to 65 character.
Step 6. Advanced Options
The advanced options are all about Meta Robots. Meta Robots tags let’s you customize what search engines can do or not do with contents of the page. You can control if you want search engines to follow links within the post, and such other options.
- Meta Robots Index: Meta Robots Index let’s you control weather you want your page to be displayed in search results or not. The Meta Robots Index have two main options,
- Index: This option will index your page in search result.
- No Index: This option will not index your page in search result. You definitely don’t want to do this.
- Meta Robots Follow: Meta Robots Follow let’s you control if you want the search engines to follow the links in your post. There are two options,
- Follow: This option let’s search engines to follow the links within the page.
- No Follow: This option let’s search engines to not follow the links withing the page. You might want to setup no follow for external links. You can use no follow tag within the tag.
- Meta Robots Advanced:
- None: This is a shortcut for noindex Nofollow or basiclly saying to search engine don’t do anything with this page at all.
- NO ODP: It blocks search engines from using the description for this page in DMOZ(aka ODP) as the snippet for your page in the search results. DMOZ is a really old website directory.
- NO YDIR: Blocks Yahoo! from using the description for this page in the Yahoo! directory as the snippet for your page in the search results.
- No Image Index: This Disallow search engine from spidering images on that page.
- NO Archive: This prevents search engine from showing a cash copy of this page.
- NO Snippet: It prevents the search engines from showing a snippet of this page in the search results and prevents them from caching the page.
- Canonical URL: This is used when you have two URLs that point to the same page now assuming that you don’t have any duplicate website we will leave this blank. However, if you do have a duplicate website you enter the official URL of that website and Google will crawl that instead of other URL.
Step 7. Yoast Social
Once you integrate your social media accounts to your website then you can take advantage of these option for the Facebook and Twitter. When you share a post in Facebook or Twitter, default title, description and featured image is used. If you want different title, description or feature image then you can make changes in this tab for Facebook or Twitter. Leaving this blank is fine 99% of the time.
After finishing the work with Yoast SEO Plugin you can do other post activities like, choosing featured image for the post, choosing categories, writing tags for the post, and then you can publish the article.
Latest posts by Rupesh Karna (see all)
- 7 Best Author Box Plugin in WordPress - August 14, 2016
- Add Author Box using Starbox Plugin in WordPress - June 20, 2016
- Setup Author Box with Different Description Plugin in WordPress - June 19, 2016