From my experience creating regular WordPress Backups is the best thing you can do for your website. Backups provides you a peace of mind and can save you from catastrophic situations when your site gets hacked or you accidentally lock yourself out. Backups play a critical part of your regular WordPress maintenance tasks, so it’s important to get right plugins. There are several free and paid backup plugins for WordPress, and most of them are fairly easy to use. In this article, we will show you the top 7 WordPress backup plugins 2017.
I also recommend reading other related articles that will help you to manage your WordPress website.
- 5 Most Popular WordPress Slider Plugins
- 20 Best Premium News Magazine WordPress Themes of 2016
- 5 Best WordPress Plugins to Automatically Watermark Images
- 5 Best WordPress Plugins to Generate XML Sitemaps in WordPress
Top 7 WordPress Backup Plugins 2017
There are numerous free and premium WordPress backup plugins available in WordPress Plugin directory and other sources. Here, in this article i will be discussing about the best free WordPress Backup Plugin that helps you to backup your WordPress website files and database.
Duplicator is a powerful backup solution that not only backs up your data, but also duplicates your entire WordPress site. The Duplicator gives WordPress administrators the ability to migrate, copy or clone a site from one location to another, which is a great solution if you’re looking for complete redundancy in the event that you need a fail over option if your primary site goes down. The plugin also serves as a simple backup utility which supports both serialized and base 64 serialized string replacement.
Features of Duplicator Plugin
- Made for developers as they can test and validate the production site onto their local machine
- Creates an installer file with the archive file of your website. The installer is ran and copy your website into another location
- Create Backup of your website
Download the Duplicator plugin.
UpdraftPlus Backup and Restoration is one of the most popular free backup plugins available for WordPress. You can use Updraft to backup your WordPress files and database to the cloud via Amazon S3, Google Drive, Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud, and DreamObjects. You can also backup your files to the server of your choice with an FTP transfer or download to your computer.
The only downside of UpdraftPlus is, it has a Cluttered User Interface. This makes it difficult for beginners to locate the options they need for backup. UpdraftPlus also offered as a premium version with additional features and addons. The premium version gives you a gigabyte of backup storage on the Updraft Vault, additional backup options, secure FTP, the ability to clone databases, automatic backup when updating WordPress themes, and the ability to send backups to remote destinations.
Features of UpdraftPlus Plugin
- Supports WordPress backups to UpdraftPlus Vault, Amazon S3, Dropbox, Rackspace Cloud Files, Google Drive, Google Cloud Storage, DreamHost DreamObjects, FTP, OpenStack and Email
- Quick restore (both file and database backups)
- Backup automatically on a repeating schedule
- Site duplicator/migrator: can copy sites, and (with add-on) duplicate them at new locations
- Files and database backups can have separate schedules
Download the UpdraftPlus plugin.
The appropriately named BackUpWordPress is another excellent option if you’re looking for a free WordPress backup system. BackUpWordPress will backup your entire site, which includes scheduling so you can create a different schedule for your files and your database with easy to setup and user-friendly. The plugin offers extensions for individual cloud storage services including Google Drive and Dropbox. Or, you can buy the bundle and feel confident in knowing you can backup your site whenever and wherever you want to. It requires no setup and works on low memory – an excellent advantage if you’re operating on a shared host environment. The plugin also gives you the option to use ZIP and mysqldump for faster backups. That can be a significant benefit if time is of the essence. The plugin offers numerous extensions for various cloud storage services, such as Dropbox and Google Drive. BackUpWordPress offers support for multiple languages.
Features of BackUpWordPress Plugin
- Super simple to use, no setup required
- Works in low memory, “shared host” environments
- Manage multiple schedules
- Option to have each backup file emailed to you
- Uses zip and mysqldump for faster backups if they are available
Download the BackUpWordPress plugin.
4.WP Clone by WP Academy
WP Clone is the easiest, fastest and most secure way to move or copy a WordPress site to another domain or hosting server. You can also use it to move your site to/from local server hosting, to create copies of your site for development or testing purposes, to backup your site, and to install pre-configured versions of WordPress. If you want to move WordPress website to or from localhost then WP clone is best option for you. WP Clone is a superior solution to even commercial WordPress cloning plugins.
Features of WP Clone Plugin
- Let you create copies of your site for development or testing purpose
- Backup your website. Doesn’t create backup of WordPress system files and hence reducing uploading time
- Ensures you complete security of your WordPress website
- Feature that is right out of box is that it is compatible with almost all hosts that supports WordPress
Download the WP Clone plugin.
With more than 2 Million downloads, WP-DB-Backup is one of the most popular WordPress backup plugins. If you ever find yourself only needing to backup your WordPress database, then WP-DB-Backup is the perfect plugin solution for you. This can be a good option for those who don’t update their sites very often or who don’t use images in their blog posts. WP-DB-Backup makes it really simple to create database backups, schedule automated backups, and restore your database and it even offers a way to perform a manual database backup just in case you can’t get into phpMyAdmin.
Features of WP-DB-Backup Plugin
- Create Database Backup WP-DB-Backup plugin helps you to create Database Backup easily on single click
- Autobackup Backup automatically on a repeating schedule
- Download backup file direct from your WordPress dashboard
- Easy To Install with very easy to use
- Simple to configure(very less configuration)
Download the WP-DB-Backup plugin.
6.WordPress Backup to Dropbox
Another great plugin for the popular Cloud-based platform is WordPress Backup to Dropbox that allows you to create a backup of your website regularly and store them in your Dropbox. It automatically uploads backup of your entire website to Dropbox. You can use this plugin for large websites as Dropbox allows free 2GB of storage. A log is available from your WordPress dashboard displaying dates, times and activities of the backup. Authenticating your plugin with Dropbox, you can automatically have files saved to your account. This plugin creates backups of WordPress files as well as the SQL database according to the schedule you choose. It’s also available in more than 15 languages. Basically, if you just want something that backs up your site without you having to do anything then this is your solution.
Features of WordPress Backup to Dropbox Plugin
- Backup data is completely safe as it uses OAuth plugin that keeps your Dropbox account details safe
- Supported by all browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc.
- User-Friendly interface
- Backup your site according to you. You can choose date, time and what files do you want to backup
Download the WordPress Backup to Dropbox plugin.
CYAN Backup is an offshoot of the Total Backup plugin, a great backup plugin that can backup your entire database and WordPress website into a ZIP file with a schedule. It is a fork of the great Total Backup by wokamoto. The plugin allows you to schedule hourly, daily, weekly or monthly backups. It also lets you specify the files and directories you wish to backup or not. Additional features include translations and FTP, SFTP and FTPS remote storage. For regular backups, you can activate and configure your scheduler accordingly. CYAN Backup is prepared for translation in any supported language.
Features of CYAN Backup Plugin
- Artificial delay
- Disable ZIP archive
- Split DB backup file
- Backup Pruning
- Number of backups to store being pruning
- Remote backup to FTP or SFTP servers
- Email notifications
Download the CYAN Backup plugin.
Regularly backing up your website is one of the most important things you can do to guard against losing all your data. After all, no one plans to be hacked or for their server to crash. Please remember that it’s your responsibility to backup your website on your own. Do not rely solely on your hosting provider for backups. If you are not already backing up your site, then you should pick one of these top 7 WordPress Backup Plugins 2017 and start using it right away.